- Norfolk International (ORF) – is the closest large/commercial airport to the house. It is located 92.2 miles from NHH, and has multiple airlines and rental car companies serving the airport. Without traffic, the airport can be reached in 1 1/2 hours, however in-season, the US-158 bridge creates a significant bottle neck.
- Raleigh-Durham International (RDU) – is the second large/commercial airport to the house. At a distance of 206 miles from the house, it is more then twice as far as Norfolk. However, RDU has significantly more non-stop flights to carried destinations, and the traffic crossing the US-64 bridge is often less congested then the crossing at US-158.
- Charlotte-Douglas International (CLT) – is 364 miles away, but has non-stop flights to almost every location in the US and many international destinations.
- Dare Country Regional/Manteo (MQI) – is an amazing general aviation facility located 10.1 miles away on Roanoke Island. Avgas is very reasonable, parking fees are minimal, and there are various approaches to two good-sized runways.
- Points north reach Nags Head Haven via US-158. The Wright Memorial Bridge creates the largest bottle-neck during the high season. We attempt to mitigate this annoyance by keeping the house on a Sunday-Sunday rotation, thus avoiding the worst of the Saturday traffic. During the highest traffic periods, drivers from the north may find that bypassing Norfolk and US-158, by continuing south on I-95 and joining the US-64 routing below, may be a reasonable alternative. Check the internet driving times before heading off on this longer routing.
- Drivers arriving from the west cross onto the Outer Banks via US-64. This routing tends to provide a smoother transition onto the barrier islands.